Achievement Via Individual Determination
AVID is a program to prepare students in the academic middle for four-year college eligibility. It has a proven track record in bringing out the best in students, and in closing the achievement gap. AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. AVHS AVID website. AVID Program Information National AVID website.
- AVID Program Support Options:
- Classroom Speakers
- Volunteer Academic Tutors
- Volunteer to support college & career counseling
- Professional skills development support:
- Networking skills
- Resume composition
- Interview skills
- Professional communication
- Host a career exploration field trip
- Volunteer for AV EDGE career exploration events.
- Serve on advisory board AV EDGE Programs.
- Funding support for AVID 11 spring college exploration overnight field trip
- Funding for AVID Grades 9 & 10 Local Campus visits
- Support for professional workshops: Race Series, etc
- Core AVID Strategies:
- Teaches skills and behaviors for academic success.
- Provides intensive support with tutorials and strong student/teacher relationships.
- Creates a positive peer group for students.
- Develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination.
Policymakers and educators now consider AVID’s mission to be an essential strategy for closing the achievement gap, making college access and success available to all students.